Gross-out green week - Day five: Nursing - Our Daily Green

Friday, September 21, 2012

Gross-out green week - Day five: Nursing

It's been a long time since my babies were little (17 years ago as of yesterday), but in the day, once I got past pushing their stroller 5 miles uphill in the snow to get to the store, I chose to breastfeed. I can remember my peers looking at me like I was nuts.

For the baby shower I was given bottles galore, a bottle sterilizer, but no breast pump. At the hospital, I was  sent home with piles of free formula and coupons for formula. I had a few friends swear cringe when I told them my plans and actually had one person say "as long as you don't nurse in front of me, you should do your own thing, but I'm just too modest for that". The invitation to spend time together was there as long as my baby wasn't hungry.

In a world where we are increasingly modest about our bodily functions, the thought of leaking and exposed breasts did give me pause. I'm here to testify that we survived, and it wasn't nearly as unpleasant as some of our sensibilities would indicate. There are a number of benefits to breastfeeding that set off any "gross" factors and actually prevent a few.

Have you ever smelled baby formula? It is nasty smelling stuff, based on modified cow's milk or soy. Not only is it nasty smelling, it's really unsettling the things that are put into it. From a 2010 Mother Jones report:
Infant formula has come a long way since chemist Justus von Liebig first patented a commercial cocktail of cow's milk, wheat flour, malt flour, and potassium bicarbonate in 1865. Today, Similac, Enfamil, Earth's Best, and other brands are fortified with everything from iron to the omega-3 fatty acid DHA, and most brands attempt to chemically match human milk as closely as possible. But even though artificial human milk is regulated by the FDA, researchers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found last year that a thyroid-affecting chemical used in rocket fuel contaminates 15 brands of powdered infant formula, including two that accounted for 87 percent of market share in 2000. The CDC study omits the names of the top offenders, but a little sleuthing reveals (PDF) that they are referring to Similac and Enfamil, produced by Ross (now Abbott Nutrition) and Mead Johnson Nutrition respectively. (The Environmental Working Group handily includes phone numbers here for those and other infant formula companies if you're interested in questioning the makers of your child's brand.)
Janet Tamaro Breastfeeding book
Breastfeeding
Breastmilk is exactly what a baby needs to grow properly without any of the dangerous chemicals associated with infant formulas. Additionally, cow's milk based formula has been linked to type 1 diabetes, lactose intolerance and milk allergies. Keep in mind that cow's milk is designed to make calves grow 1000 lbs in a year. It's completely biologically different from human milk. Humans have a more difficult time digesting the proteins in cows milk  which can lead to life long sensitivities.
Evidence of a pathogenic role of cow's milk in many disorders has been presented - asthma, rhinitis, eczema, urticaria, serous otitis media, pulmonary alveolitis (hemosiderosis), milk-induced enteropathy in infants, eosinophilic gastroenteritis, gastrointestinal bleeding with iron deficiency anemia, migraine headaches, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.

Soy based formulas also have their complications. According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences,

The safety of soy infant formula has been debated because it typically contains a class of compounds called isoflavones. Isoflavones are naturally occurring compounds found primarily in beans and other legumes, including soybeans, peanuts, and chickpeas.

... These isoflavones are referred to as phytoestrogens because they are found in plants (phyto) and because of their ability to act like the hormone estrogen in the body.

... it is recognized that infants go through developmental stages that are sensitive to estrogens. Therefore, infants are more likely than adults to be vulnerable to the estrogen-like effects of the phytoestrogens in soy. In some cases, the health effects resulting from a soy-based diet may not be apparent until years later.
 

It is Our Daily Green's opinion that the conditions above are a lot more gross than a leaking breast.  I've included a link to a book that was one of my favorite resources when I was nursing. It was published when my second child was born but it reassured me and helped me understand a bit more about our choices.

Stay tuned for tomorrow when I wrap up gross-out week with a discussion about cloth diapering.  





5 comments :

Unknown said...

Hey Kim. I'm a breast feeding momma and while some people are still really turned off by it, I think a lot of people are more accepting of it. Stores don't seem to have any problems with me nursing in the fitting rooms. I will not nurse in a bathroom! Talk about gross. I don't eat in the bathroom and neither should my baby.

But I use washable nursing pads in my bra for the leaky factor. And for the modesty issue, it supreme for me. That's why I use nursing covers. They are my life saver. I have even begun making my own.

I can tell men get a little uncomfortable if they realize what I'm doing, but most people don't even seem to pay me any mind. I don't think they know.

FreshGreenKim said...

Hi Ginger, thanks for weighing in. Obviously, it's been awhile since I nursed. One thing I should have put that ought to appeal to any mom is how quickly you lose the baby weight when you're nursing! And between you & me (and whoever reads the comments), there were times I leaked so much I had to use baby washcloths to absorb the excess.

As far as discretion went, nursing tops & bras worked wonders for me!

Gena at ichoosejoy.org said...

I love this! Not everything about motherhood is enjoyable for me, but I love Breastfeeding! My eighth little one is right beside me as I type. It has been such a joy to be nursing for 8+ years.
--Gena

Anonymous said...

I loved nursing. The first two weeks were always hard, but after that, the baby and I would figure it out together. There are a lot of things that go on with the formula companies that are despicable. Particularly the Nestle company.

FreshGreenKim said...

Gena, welcome to my blog and thank you for sharing your opinion... Yes, it worked very well for our family and I'm glad to see that it's growing in acceptability with time.

Lunchmeat! Welcome to this blog... oh those first two weeks. For me, especially with #1, I basically had to strip to the waist to figure out what was the right hold and how to position. (Otherwise bra flaps, shirt tails, you name it interfered). I think my saving grace was that she was 5 weeks early and we hadn't had the shower yet (yes, she attended her own baby shower!) and so we just were winging it. The food was there, I just had to figure out how to get it to her.